Anne McCaffrey

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Anne McCaffrey

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:28 pm

Just found this RIP Anne I did like some of her books.

We are so very sad to hear that Anne McCaffrey has passed away. Raise a glass to one of the greats. :(
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby MongoGutman » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:43 pm

I did like the Pern series - went on too long, shoulda stopped at 6, and a bit mills and boon, but, you know there's space for that and I confess I blubbed like a baby when Menolly "walked the tables". i understand she's passed the franchise on to a son or nephew or something. Not sure what he's doing with it.
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby Quatermass » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:01 pm

I haven't got confirmation from the bigger news outlets yet. I suggest remaining sceptical until it is confirmed.

I have a friend who enjoyed McCaffrey's work. Me? Well, I enjoyed her Brainship series, and I didn't mind the first Acorna book, though not enough to continue.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:05 pm

That was put out by her publishers so they should know. :roll:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:55 pm

According Jack Cohen (in the taxi from the airport the other week) she'd been writing another Pern book and I think was more or less finished. Her son has carried on the series so if it wasn't finished then I expect he'll get it done.

RIP Anne - dragons never looked back thanks to you :(
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:21 am

That's very sad news. I loved her books. :( RIP Anne.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:52 am

I simply adored her. Her work, she also sang Coloratura. That's what she called it, and after learning Messiah, I get it. Todd has been co-authoring with her for a bit.

Are there dragons out there, Ms. McCaffery?
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby pip » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:13 am

To one of the Greats :(

Life is not the same without a few dragons
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby wicked woman » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:24 am

Loved her early pern books, and the brainship ones. RIP Anne.
wicked woman

Postby meerkat » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:50 am

Sad! :cry:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Conforumist » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:17 am

This article is from April, but worth sharing. I did not search for anything more current.

http://www.movieline.com/2011/04/nerd-a ... pening.php
Conforumist

Postby Tiffany » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:20 am

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45409015/ns/today-books/

For a while I didn't believe this, but yes, she is gone.

RIP Anne, you have given me so much pleasure reading & re-reading your books over the years. The World has lost a lovely person.
I am all chocked up now. :cry: :cry: :cry:

My sympathy to Anne's relatives. Todd will carry on though, so Pern is not lost & I like his books as well.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby swreader » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:52 pm

Rest in Peace Anne! You have given me and so many others many hours of pleasure! Your legacy will live on. :(
swreader

Postby Watchman44 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:18 pm

Pern was my gateway to Discworld, I lent a friend a Dragonrider book in return for Colour of Magic.

This is from her son Todd on facebook,

"At about 5 p.m. Monday November 21st, 2011, Anne McCaffrey passed away.
Mum was getting ready to go back to the hospital because she was feeling "puny" and collapsed while she was moving into her wheelchair. Her daughter, Georgeanne Kennedy, and son-in-law, Geoffrey Kennedy were with her. She was in no pain and it was over in an instant.
She first had a heart attack in late 2000 and a stroke in 2001, so we were well-prepared and knew that we were on "golden time" with Mum these past ten years and more.
She leaves behind an incredible legacy of marvelous books and a huge legion of fans. She won practically every major award in available to authors of science fiction and fantasy, including both Hugo and Nebula Awards, the American Library Association's Margaret A. Edwards award for Lifetime Literary achievement in Young Adult fiction, was an inductee into the Science Fiction Hall of Fame, and was a SFWA Nebula Grandmaster.
She was also a great cook, magnificent mother, doting grandmother, ardent quilter, knitter, bridge player, horsewoman, fencer, actress, singer, and all-around nice person.
We are blessed to have known her, just as we are blessed with the knowledge that she has touched so many lives and made such huge changes in them.
Mum always said, "Don't just pay back a favor -- pass it on!" In light of that spirit, we ask that, instead of condolences or flowers, that commemorators make a donation to their favorite charity.
We know that we haven't lost Mum -- that she has truly passed on her legacy of love and honor to all those who were touched by her -- and that we have only to open one of her books to find her again.
Rest well, Mum, you've earned it!"
:cry:
Last edited by Watchman44 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who watches the watchman.......
FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
Watchman44

Postby chris.ph » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:33 pm

i love her books, this is a big loss to scifi/fantasy :cry:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Next

Return to The Broken Drum